If you have questions about your sex life or relationship, of if you have a problem, you can talk to different health professionals. You always go to your general practitioner first. If necessary, the health professional can refer you to a specialist, for example gynaecologist, midwife, (sexual) therapist or psychologist.
What to talk about with a health professional?
You can talk to a health professional about almost every intimate issue. For example:
How to talk with a health professional
If you want to talk with a health professional, these tips may be handy:
- Think about the problem or question you want to discuss.
- Think about what you want from the health professional. For instance: do you want advice, an STI test or a referral to a specialist?
- Make it clear if the topic is difficult for you to talk about.
- Describe your problem or question as specifically as possible. For example: "I am not able to get an erection."
- Think about the words you will use. The glossary on this website can help.
- You can take someone you trust with you, so that he/she can help you.
It often seems difficult to talk about intimate topics with a health professional, but this is part of their job. They know these topics well.
Your privacy is respected when you talk to a health professional. Professionals cannot share the information you tell them.