A vaginal infection is an infection of the vagina and has similar symptoms to an STI. It is not an STI. You often do not get the infection from sex.

The infection is caused by a fungus (candida) or by bacteria (bacterial vaginosis).

You can prevent most vaginal infections if you take good care of your vagina. Antibiotics and stress can also cause vaginal infections. Only take antibiotics when they are prescribed by a doctor. 

You may have a vaginal infection if you have one or more of the following symptoms:

If you think you have a vaginal infection, talk about it with your general practitioner. A vaginal infection can be treated easily. The doctor will give you a prescription for a medicine or cream.

Ask your general practitioner whether your partner needs to be tested and treated as well.

Woman talking with a doctor.

Een vaginale infectie is een infectie van de vagina met symptomen die lijken op die van een soa. Het is geen soa. U krijgt de infectie vaak niet door seks.

De infectie wordt veroorzaakt door een schimmel (candida) of door bacteriën (bacteriële vaginose).

De meeste vaginale infecties kunnen worden voorkomen door goede hygiëne van de vaginaAntibiotica en stress kunnen ook vaginale infecties veroorzaken. Neem alleen antibiotica wanneer voorgeschreven is door een arts. 

U zou een vaginale infectie kunnen hebben als u een of meer van de volgende symptomen heeft:

Als u denkt dat u een vaginale infectie heeft, praat erover met een huisarts. Een vaginale infectie kan gemakkelijk worden behandeld. De dokter bezorgt u een recept voor een medicijn of een crème.

Vraag aan de huisarts of uw partner ook moet worden getest en behandeld.

Vrouw praat met een dokter.

More information or help needed?

General practitioner
You can talk to a general practitioner about every intimate topic. If necessary, a general practitioner can refer you to a specialised health professional. Refugees who have been granted (temporary) asylum choose a general practitioner in their municipality. Asylum seekers in an asylum seekers’ centre can consult a general practitioner at the centre.
More health professionals

Dictionary and translations