There are various methods of natural family planning:
- Not having sexual intercourse. However, it is natural for people to have sex.
- Not having sexual intercourse when a woman is in her fertile period. This method is also called the rhythm method. However, it is difficult to know on which days a woman can get pregnant.
- Withdrawing the penis before the man ejaculates.
Withdrawing the penis before the man ejaculates:
- Before he ejaculates, a man may already lose a bit of fluid that might contain sperm cells.
- It is difficult to know exactly when a man ejaculates. An orgasm is often very overwhelming or fast and unexpected. Then it is very difficult to withdraw the penis before the first semen comes out.
- If the man ejaculates near the vagina, sperm cells might reach the vagina. This means the woman could get pregnant.
The breast-feeding method only works under the following conditions:
- The method only works during the first 6 months following delivery. After 6 months, it is best to use a method of contraception, even if you have not had a menstrual period. For instance: the condom or the mini-pill.
- The woman must only breast-feed her baby. This means the baby only gets breast-milk. There should never be more than 4 hours between feedings during the day and 6 hours between feedings during the night.
- The woman should not express milk. Expressing milk is squeezing the breast with a hand or using a pump to suck milk from the breast.
If you do not meet these conditions, use a method of contraception. While breast-feeding, it is best to use a condom or the mini-pill.
Not very reliable
It is difficult to use natural family planning methods correctly. You can get pregnant if you do not use these methods correctly.
The breast-feeding method is reliable during the first 6 months following delivery. After 6 months, the method is no longer reliable.